Evie's Ark, All Things Animal
One feisty redhead, her two adorable cats, and a whole lot of painting and sewing!
Welcome to Evie's Ark, All Things Animal! Since 2001.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

An open letter to Banana Bread

Dear Banana Bread,

You've been there for me for most of my life. Through the good times and the bad times, through the heartbreak and the hunger pains. You've been my source of comfort, right behind ice cream of course. Yes, we've had our ups and downs. But time after time, you've come to be my trusty stand-by. And for that, I am thankful.

But there comes a time in a girl's life when the regular ho-hum just won't do. Call it a mid-life crisis if you will. Please be assured that it's me and not you. I will always cherish the smell of your soothing aroma wafting from my oven, but feel the need to explore other options. I know that our paths will cross again. And I hope that you will always hold safe our dear memories together.

Love,
me


And now I present you with Banana Blueberry Muffins! Yumm-o!




Banana Blueberry Muffin Recipe
Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed over-ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
1 egg
1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray muffin cups with a non-stick spray. I like to use unique muffin pans, rather than the typical round kind. I think it makes the muffins taste better! But back to the recipe. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a smaller bowl, mix the mashed bananas, egg, melted butter, milk, vanilla extract, orange zest, and walnuts. Stir the dry ingredients into the banana mixture until blended, but make sure not to overmix. Gently fold in the blueberries.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Sprinkle a generous pinch of sugar onto the tops of each muffin. This gives the muffin a crystallized crunchiness on the top. Bake muffins until tops are pale golden color and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a rack to cool. Or you can be a pig like I was and eat them warm right out of the oven. Enjoy!

No comments: